Fly and Drive Costa Rica with Gateways International
Photo: Dormant Arenal - Volcano, Costa Rica
Costa Rica is a great destination to self-drive at your own pace. Begin your adventure in the capital city of San José with your own 4×4 vehicle. Discover the majestic Arenal Volcano and relaxing thermal waters; ascend to the magical cloud forests of Monteverde and conclude your journey on the stunning beaches of Manuel Antonio National Park. If you prefer not to drive, a shuttle option is available upon request.
- Majestic Arenal area
- Incredible wildlife at Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve
- Magnificent views from Manuel Antonio
- *Roundtrip international airfare from Toronto
- **Welcome assistance upon arrival, private transfers to/from the airport.
- 2 nights in San Jose at Wyndham San Jose Herradura, Standard Room, or similar
- 2 nights in Arenal at Arenal Manoa & Hot Springs Resort, Junior Suite, or similar
- 2 nights in Monteverde at El Establo Mountain Hotel, Deluxe Room, or similar
- 2 nights in Manuel Antonio at La Mariposa Hotel, Garden view, or similar
- *7-day car rental; Automatic transmission, full insurance, unlimited mileage (Suzuki Grand Vitara or similar)
- *Breakfast daily
- *Hotel taxes and service charges
- *Airport & Departure taxes Optional Add-On Tours
- *Hiking to Rio Celeste
- Tips to guides and drivers and other gratuities
- Travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature
- Items not mentioned above
- Visas are required for entry into the country as necessary.
Photo: Tropical Foliage, Costa Rica
Day 1: Toronto - San Jose
Depart from Toronto to San José, Costa Rica’s largest city and cultural capital. Meet and greet by our local representatives and take a private transfer to your hotel.
Day 2: San Jose - Arenal
Enjoy breakfast at your hotel. Pick up your rental car and self-drive to the Arenal area. Although the volcano is dormant, you will marvel at the Arenal Volcano’s majesty. Your hotel is surrounded by gardens, pastures and animals with panoramic views of the volcano.
Day 3: Arenal
After breakfast, enjoy your day exploring the Arenal area on your own. Suggested activities include spa treatments and relaxing in thermal waters; rafting on the Toro River, or perhaps hiking to stunning Río Celeste and seeing the Tenorio Volcano. Optional activities are not included.
Day 4: Arenal - Monteverde
Enjoy breakfast at your hotel. Check out of your hotel and self-drive to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve, one of the most beautiful nature reserves in the world, and among the most exceptional wildlife sanctuaries in the New World Tropics. The area protects birds, butterflies, mammals, and thousands of species of plants across an area spanning six distinct ecological zones. Nestled in the misty cloud forest your hotel offers an unforgettable experience.
Day 5: Monteverde
Enjoy your day in Monteverde to explore the area. Suggested activities include canopy tours and incredible hanging bridges. Be sure to take a magical night walk in the cloud forest which begins with a magnificent sunset and an intimate encounter with the biodiversity Monteverde has to offer, not included.
Day 6: Monteverde - Manuel Antonio
After breakfast at your hotel, self-drive to Manuel Antonio National Park, popular for its expansive white sand beaches often visited by dolphins and migrating whales, backed by a tropical, luscious evergreen rainforest. Your hotel offers an award-winning 360-degree view overlooking the blue Pacific Ocean, the city of Quepos, and the National Park.
Photo: Manuel Antonio - Beaches, Costa Rica
Day 7: Manuel Antonio
After breakfast at the hotel, take today to relax or continue exploring. Naturalist guides can lead you on an exciting jungle experience, to perhaps spot a variety of monkeys who call Manuel Antonio National Park home, tour not included.
Day 8: Manuel Antonio - San Jose
Enjoy breakfast at your hotel. Check out and drive back to San José for your last night in Costa Rica. Return your rental car to your hotel.
Day 9: San Jose - Toronto
After breakfast, transfer to the airport to board your homebound flight.